Finding a way out of the Wilderness in the 21st Century

Wednesday, October 15, 2003

Something I truly do not understand in this day and age is the habit, almost a reflexive tic, of the right to deride all and anything liberal as "communist," as if that's an end-all pejorative label. The Cold War ended in 1991, but you'll still have communism trotted out as the red bogeyman very frequently.

There's also the tendency to equate nazism with communism as the two polar extremes of evil. I don't agree with that formulation.

Nazism's legacy to the world was racial hate, eugenic theory, and rocket technology. And of course the millions of dead from WWII.

Communism had a huge body count, but I'd venture a guess that given the time and geographical extent that the USSR enjoyed that Germany's tally would be much higher.

I'm not a communist. I believe in property rights and the market system as the most efficient means of production. But I do resent "communist" used as a last retort. There's a much longer, indepth discussion here, on maxspeak.org.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home